Djoha is watching the door

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Mon Dec 5 13:32:18 UTC 2005

LaXayam Ooshtaqi,

  Thank you very much for the appreciation.
  Indeed, in this texts the most difficult thing for me to translate in Wawa was "wedding party"; I used "hayash makmak" only because I thought that "big eating" applies to a party in general (including wedding party). Maybe you're right, paLach would be more appropriate.
  I used in my translation "hilu latet" for "idiot" and "kaltas man" for "bastard" because it was the most suitable that I could imagine, even if (in my oppinion) not so expressive like the English expressions. "Masachi man", as far as I know, is used in Wawa with the meaning "enemy". "Tumtum kakwa mowitch" in my oppinion could be an insult or a praise, depending on what animal do you understand by "mowitch" (it usually means deer, but as I understood, in some contexts could refer also to other animals; "tenas mowitch" is "rabbit" or "rat" or any other small animal; "masatche mowitch" is "wolf" or "grizzly bear").

  ALki weXt,
  Mayka siks
  Francisc

Scott Tyler <s.tylermd at comcast.net> wrote:
          LaXayam Las,

  mayka tenes yiem yaka paL hihi!

  your little tale is pretty funny!

  wedding party could = paaLaC or potlatch

  hiloo lateyt, kaltus man, mesaachee man
  tumtum kakwa mowitch
  = pretty good insults

  scott/ooshtaqi