Nesmith, J.W. on a sermon at Willamette Falls, Oregon

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Sun Jan 30 04:47:45 UTC 2005

>From his address in Proc Oregon Pioneer Assoc 1880:19, quoted in Marshall,
William I. Acquisition of Oregon and the Long Suppressed Evidence about
Marcus Whitman, 1911, Vol. II., pages 5-343.], posted on the internet at
http://homepage.mac.com/fotl/marshall/marshall2_5-343.html.

"On one occasion I attended service conducted by a missionary for the
benefit of the Indians at Willamette Falls. The old chiefs, Yalocus and
Wansanius, with Slacom and other head men of their tribe and about 300 of
their people, were present. The sermon was preached in Chinook jargon and
consisted in an effort on the part of the preacher to unfold to his
benighted, filthy and half-naked audience the mysteries of the plan of
salvation. The poverty of the language did not admit of any elaborated
presentation of abstract ideas or principles; the preacher dwelt strongly
upon the efficacy of prayer and illustrated its benefits by pointing out
the superior physical comforts enjoyed by the white people over the savages
in habitation, food and clothing, and told them that they might enjoy
similar benefits by its practice. He then interrogated them as to whether
they were willing to ask for and receive the inestimable
benefits to be derived from prayerful supplication to the Deity. Old
Wansamus responded in behalf of his people:

"'Nowitka, six; mica potlatch passissie, sakallux, sapalell, ittillwilla,
cayuse, hyu close itca copa konniway nica tillicum. Yaka koniway kwaniisum
wawa copa sohala tyee.' Which translated to English was
substantially: "Yes, my friend; if you will give us plenty of blankets,
pantaloons, flour and meat and tobacco, and lots of other good things, we
will pray to God all the time and always.'