Questions about words

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Mon May 9 10:28:09 UTC 2005

Klahawya siks !

Please be so kind and help a klahawyam tilikum who needs help !

1. In Jacobs's "Texts in Chinook Jargon" there is a word, dat'Li, that
occurs twice:
In Howard's "A stingy girl is taken away by mountain people", p. 6, 2:
"dat'Li gagwa yaXga", translated as "So that is what she (has been doing)";
In Hudson's "Soup Man", p. 16, 5:
"dat'Li-yaga-uk-ulman yagayu-makmak uk-lasup", translated as "It must be
this old man who has been eating the soup".
Now, i'm unable to find out from the context what this "dat'Li" could mean
(it looks to be an adverb), and I didn't find it in any of the dictionaries
accessible on-line (Demers, Le Jeune, Gibbs, Shaw, Hale, Philips, Holton,
etc.etc.), although I was lookig also for variants like tatli, tahtli,
tatlhi, tathli, etc.; what does it mean?

2. I the texts of Victoria Howard appears a particle, -iwa, added to local
adverbs:
In "A dangerous being kills two women", p. 6, 7 (4):
"alda t'Lunas qa-iwa Lasga Ladwa uk-dilxam", translated as "And so I do not
know where those people went";
In " stingy girl is taken away by mountain people", p. 8, 9:
"wik-maLadwa yawa'iwa", translated as "do not go in yonder direction";
p. 9, 9 (2):
"bus-wik-naLadwa yawa'iwa", translated as "I was not to go in yonder
direction".
>From the context I understand that this particle turns place adverbs into
directional ones. But if this is the case, isn't such a particle
superfluous? I knew that qa(X) means where, both "in what place" and "in
what direction", and similarly yawa means "there", both "in that place" and
also "in that direction".

3. Is there a CW word for "to fall (down)", beside the idiom "klatawa
ilehi"? In Jacobs's Texts, namely in Coquille Thompsons "The origin of
death" (p. 27, 4) we have:
"kagwa yaga-Ladwa tLaxani, ili'i yaga t'LuX", translated as "That was how
he went outside, he fell down on the ground (in a transport of grief)"
What does the word "t'LuX" mean? Does it mean "to fall"?

4. Is there a CW word for "jaybird"? I know from a message to this list
(posted by Don Boucher on 14 Dec. 1998) that "Tehanie" = "Steller's Jay".
But is there a word for "jay(bird)" in general? Or Steller's jay is the
only (or the most important) species of jaybird living in the PNW?

5. Is there a CW word for "fox"? I found (don't remember where), that
talapas means also "fox" and "wolf", and in the dictionary of
Demers/Blanchet/St.Onge we have: aias oputs = "fox; prairie wolf, coyote"
(literally: "big tail"); but is there also a specific word for "fox"?

I thing it's enough for the moment...
Hayash mersi in advance,
Francisc