The Devil's shaking my hand and he's dragging me to Hell

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Tue May 10 21:03:02 UTC 2005

This seemed like a pretty expressive use of Chinuk Wawa:

"Liiam iaka iskom naika lima, pi iaka hol naika kopa Kikwili Paia..."

(Literally, to the down-below fire.)

This was said by an Okanagan man named Abel who went crazy (chako piltin /
lost iaka latit) and died.

It's quoted in Kamloops Wawa #68, 5 March 1893, page 39.

Please let me know if I'm posting too many of these.  I think of them as
micro-lessons in Jargon.

Klahawiam.  Naika nim:

--Dave R.