How do you say "village" in CW ?

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Fri May 13 11:38:43 UTC 2005

Klahowya!

Now I'm boring you with another question: how do you say "village" in CW?

I know that "town" is hayu-haws ("many houses") or tawn (from
English "town").

For "village" I found only the word vilEdj, used by Thomas Paul in
Jacobs' "Texts in Chinook Jargon". Was this word used generally in CW, or
was just an English word used by the informer where no CW word was
available? (I have noticed that T. Paul used English words also where there
are specific words in CW, for instance wulf = wolf, djEmp = jump, sho =
shore, maundEn = mountain, etc.)

I know that in Proper Chinook the word for "village" is ilxam (whence
tilxam, with the plural prefix t-). Is this word used also in CW?

Hayu masi,
Francisc