Fox...was...Re: Questions about words

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Mon May 16 10:38:25 UTC 2005

Thank you, Dave !

Thus:
foks < English fox;
tEnEs lilu = "small wolf";
t'alap'as = coyote, but I found in some source that it means also "wolf" or "fox" (for instance, in Le Jeune's "Chinook rudiments" (1924) talapos = "silver fox", in his "Practical Chinook Vocabulary" (1886) talapos = "fox"; Shaw (1909) wrote, quoting Eells: "Some give Talapus as Coyote or Prairie Wolf and Hyas opoots talapus as Fox, and some exactly the reverse, custom probably being different according to locality.")
But where comes "tiskoko" from? Is it a Chinookan term? Or borrowed from some other Native language?

Francisc

David Robertson <ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU> wrote:
Some more words for "fox":

foks

tEnEs lilu

tiskoko

t'alap'as

I think I've seen even more. As luck would have it, my copy of Sam
Johnson's dissertation is at the office.

--Dave R

To respond to the CHINOOK list, click 'REPLY ALL'. To respond privately to the sender of a message, click 'REPLY'. Hayu masi!