Other questions

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Mon May 16 11:35:55 UTC 2005

Klahowya,

I have some other three little questions, if you don't mind:

1. I didn't find in any source CW words for such house parts like "roof"
and "wall", although they must have been, since both Native and European-
style houses had walls and roofs.
I found only a word for "chimney", it seems to be of French origin, but the
spelling is very dubious: la-shum-ma-na (Blanchet, 1869?), la-shum-a-na
(Stuart, 1865?, "a corruption of French la cheminee"), le shimney (Good,
1880).
So how could we say "roof" and "wall" in CW?

2. Is there a specific CW expression for "good luck", "good
fortune", "chance" or the like?
I found in Gibbs and Shaw that "tamahnous" means also "luck", "fortune",
but it has also a lot of other meanings.
Is there also another word that means specifically "luck", "fortune"?

3. In CW there is the word XawqwEL (howkwutl) for the inability or
impossibility to do something. But is there a word or expression also for
the opposite meaning?
I didn't find so far any CW word/expression meaning "can", "be able", "it's
possible", or similar.

Hayumasi,
Francisc