Stikine = Tlingit may have been the right guess

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Mon May 16 22:00:30 UTC 2005

Hi,

I found another mention of "Stikine" people in Kamloops Wawa, issue #119
(August 1894), page 142.  They were working at a salmon cannery in New
Westminster, BC, with other Indians, and when their coworkers began
teaching each other the Chinook Wawa shorthand, the Stikines were very
interested in learning it, too.

These facts suggest to me that these were Tlingit people from the Stikine
River area, for example near Wrangell, Alaska, a place where Jargon is
known to have been used.  I wish I'd known of this piece of information
when I was doing research in southeastern Alaska!

--Dave R