Quoted speech from the Interior

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Wed May 25 23:12:39 UTC 2005

The following is my summary from page 39 of Kamloops Wawa issue #150
(March 1897):

Le Jeune describes the dangerous journey back to Kamloops from Shulus in
icy conditions; they stopped off at a house along the way & a white woman
there said they’d never see Kamloops that day, the road was too icy &
they’d slip into the lake; Nicola Auxime [a Shuswap Indian] quipped in
response [verbatim quote?],

“Ukuk kluchmin iaka wawa pus klaksta patlach iaka <100> tala pus klatwa
Kamlups, wik iaka klatwa.  Tlus iaka patlach naika <100> tala pi naika
aiak klatwa kopa Kamlups.” (“That woman says if someone gave her $100 to
go to Kamloops, she wouldn’t go.  She should give me $100 and I’ll head
right off for Kamloops.”)

--Dave R.