"mamuk wawa"?

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Fri Aug 4 03:59:40 UTC 2006

A term "mamuk wawa" is used in a letter I'm analyzing.  The only meanings
I've found listed anywhere for this are "to pray" at Grand Ronde, and "to
tell a story" listed by Sam Johnson.

I suspect this term means something else in the following sentence.

"Naika mamuk wawa wit kopa Samin Arm pi ilo naika tlap shikmin kopa ukuk
wawa wit."

Word-for-word gloss:

I MAKE TALK WHEAT AT SALMON ARM BUT NOT I GET MONEY FOR THAT TALK WHEAT

This is said in the context of explaining why the writer doesn't have
money to go visit the person he's writing to.

My intuition (I admit it's weak) is that the meaning might be

"I advertised my wheat [for sale] at Salmon Arm, but I didn't get paid for
the advertised wheat."

or

"I had my wheat auctioned off at Salmon Arm, but I haven't gotten paid for
the auctioned wheat."

(The following sentence tells how "That white man told me he didn't have
any money on him.")

In case any of you have inspirations about how to best understand this
sentence, I'm asking for you to share them.

Thanks!

--Dave R