/wamusmuski/ in Upper Chehalis (Q'way'ay'ilhq')

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Mon Aug 7 17:19:51 UTC 2006

A brief search of the CHINOOK archives suggests we never got very far in
the effort to figure out where one or more Salish languages of the Olympic
peninsula got their words /wamusmuski/ for "cow".

But I've just noticed in Melville Jacobs' "Clackamas Texts", part 2, page
561, a clue.  Chinookan languages should be the source, just as Kinkade
guessed in his Cowlitz dictionary.  But the story still looks complicated.

In Clackamas, "cows" appears to be /tL'a-imusmusgi'mX/.  (Final stress; X =
back x.)

With my scant knowledge of Chinookan grammar, I'd guess there are at least
2 prefixes and at least 2 suffixes here: maybe tL'a-i-musmus-gi-mX.

(I didn't get much guidance from a glance at Boas' 1911 "The Chinook Indian
Language".  And I had to take Hymes' dissertation back to the library.)

Stretching my command of Chinookan beyond the limit, I'd guess that a
female cow might be wa-musmus-gi[...].

So, we'd suppose some (which?) dialect of Chinookan borrowed the Chinook
Jargon word /musmus/, applied the usual Chinookan noun affixes, then wound
up supplying this word to a neighboring Salish language.  The Salish
languages we're talking about don't have a "g" sound, so it's not crazy to
suppose they'd pronounce this word /wamusmuski/.

Kinkade's Cowlitz dictionary gives a plural form, /wEmusmuskiyumx/ (with
front x).  The interesting thing is that this Cowlitz form can be analyzed
as wEmusmuski + the suffix =awmx that's used for plurals.  (See Kinkade's
grammar sketch, 2.9.2.)  I don't know if the -mX at the end of the
Clackamas form can be shown to have any meaning in Chinookan.  So, is it
possible that Clackamas borrowed wamusmuskiyumx back from Cowlitz?

(The Clackamas speaker who used this word, Victoria Howard, didn't know any
Salish as far as I've heard; she used Clackamas, English, Chinook Jargon
and some Molala.  I doubt she had any need for a Salish-sounding version of
Jargon /musmus/, which was a word she must have known.)

Or did Cowlitz borrow the word in the form wamusmusgimX, and reanalyze it
into more Salish-looking parts?  Then the "plural suffix" =awmx would have
been "removed", in order to back-form the "singular".

Did Chinookan languages have more linguistic influence on their Salish
neighbors after contact, despite demographic decline, than Jargon did?

Or maybe in this particular part of the lower Columbia River, wamusmuski
was a regionalism in Jargon.  Or...?

This word remains a bit of a puzzle.  But it does show that Jargon,
Chinookan and Salish interacted after contact.

--Dave R