Grand Ronde virtual museum is now open!

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Fri Aug 18 22:39:45 UTC 2006

http://www.grandronde.org/culture/ikanum/

This just went live today, they're having a big party to celebrate if
you're in the neighborhood.

It's the Grand Ronde Tribes virtual museum, titled "Ntsayka Ikanum -- Our
Story."  There's a huge amount of material there, so sit down with a cup of
coffee and browse.

A lot of you have wanted to find more Jargon learning materials, and now
you've got them.  At this website there's video and audio of a
pronunciation key, elders talking Jargon, an audio essay on the origin of
Jargon (in Jargon), the immersion preschool kids talking, and more.  And
that's just when you click the "Wawa" button.

The other buttons lead you to extensive material about traditional culture,
origins of the reservation, the elders, reservation history (termination &
restoration of the tribe's recognition), and the contemporary community.

Did I mention that a lot of the information on these pages is available in
both Jargon and English?  You just click a button to read it in the
language you want.  Again, lots of Jargon to practice on.

The tribes have done a fantastic job with the virtual museum.  You could
easily spend a couple of hours browsing through it.  You'll find nice
features throughout.  I see Jargon speakers in every section!

I'm told the tribe is continuing work on the virtual museum, so bookmark it
and check regularly.  This is about the best resource on the internet to
learn about the language and culture of these folks.

--Dave R.