Quoted speech...don't talk flowery

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Fri Aug 18 21:19:37 UTC 2006

How to quote someone else's words in Jargon?  There's no trick to it, but
we haven't talked about this language function much.  So here's an example
from Shuswap country:

"Luisa wawa,
LOUISA SAY
Louisa says,

'Naika ilo ikta mamuk pi ukuk man tiki mamuk skukum haws naika.'
I NOT THING DO BUT THAT MAN WANT MAKE STRONG BUILDING ME
'I didn't do anything, but that man wants to put me in jail.'

Luisa wawa kakwa.
LOUISA SAY THUS
That's what Louisa says.

Luisa wik saia skukum haws."
LOUISA NOT FAR STRONG BUILDING
Louisa almost got thrown in prison.

I supplied the punctuation because these shorthand letters hardly use any.
That's one reason why quoted speech is an interesting subject: It's hard to
identify it in these letters, unless you think hard about how to divide the
words you see into phrases & clauses & stuff.  (Think of the Schoolhouse
Rock song "Conjunction Junction.")

A few notes:

There's less use of repeated (resumptive) pronouns in this flavour of
Jargon than you see in some areas, Grand Ronde for example.  So we don't
find "Luisa iaka wawa" [literally Louisa she says], or "ukuk man iaka tiki"
[that man he wants].

Good style in the shorthand letters calls for lots of repeated information,
though.  So we find the quote introduced with "Louisa says" and followed
by "That's what she says."

"Skukum haws" is either a noun, "prison," or a patient-oriented verb, "to
get imprisoned."  It depends on how you use it.  Both times it's used here,
it's clearly a verb.  See why?  I don't think we're being told that Louisa
was almost a jail...!  (It's really unlikely the writer, a respected
religious official, was trying to say this woman was "built like a
brick...house.")  And if the writer intended the slightly less metaphorical
meaning, that she was "not far from the jail," the normal way to say that
would be to throw in the preposition: "wik saia KOPA skukum haws."  When
Louisa says the man wants to "mamuk skukum haws," that's a regular old
Jargon causative verb: cause to be imprisoned = put someone in jail.

About metaphorical stuff: Don't go looking for it.  Most people, speakers
of any language, are very very un-literary when they're writing notes to
each other.  My experience in translating the shorthand letters is that
I'll only confuse myself more if I start looking for a metaphorical meaning
in some expression that I have trouble translating.  That's what I did to
myself with that "nim kopa lisak" that was mentioned the other day...I
forgot the simple fact that the guy was just talking about writing a letter
to someone, so lisak (bag) = envelope.  By ignoring this common sense, I
got so confused that I didn't understand the sentence for 2 years!

I'm reminded of the person who (with some justification) wrote
exasperatedly to me once about people who just want to "write haiku in
Chinook."  The point is well taken: Even though a lot of Jargon looks to
have been created by metaphorical extensions of meanings, like "tanas man"
[little man] for "boy," that doesn't mean we can now use metaphor
constantly in Jargon.  It's not that Jargon is unsuited for abstract
imagery.  Instead, flowery talk isn't a big part of Jargon grammar or
culture--so far--, and the majority of humans speak all of their languages
in a mostly straightforward way.

We irritating Bostons give advice to each other that sums it up: KISS (Keep
It Simple, Stupid).  We irritating Bostons have violated that rule plenty
when we've talked Jargon.  Look at the misunderstandings we've caused at
treaty gatherings.

Pi klunas wik drit naika komtaks.

--Dave R