How many times is God going to kill us?

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Thu Aug 24 21:48:08 UTC 2006

This is from the same letter I just quoted.  (The one asking the original
language of humans.)  Consider it today's language lesson, but the most
interesting thing about it is the Salish reaction to Christian ideas.

Ilip, Sahali Taii iaka mamuk mimlus tilikom kopa chok,
FIRST ABOVE CHIEF HE MAKE DIE PEOPLE WITH WATER
"First, God drowned the people,

pi wixt kopa paia Sahali Taii iaka mamuk mimlus;
AND AGAIN WITH FIRE ABOVE CHIEF HE MAKE DIE
and he's going to do it again with fire;

kopit makst taim?
ONLY 2 TIME
is it just the two times?

Naika kolan ikta Sahali Taii iaka mamuk mimlus kopa tilikom.
I HEAR SOMETHING ABOVE CHIEF HE MAKE DIE TO PEOPLE
I heard something about God killing people."

--Dave R