"'California Letters of Lucius Fairchild"

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Tue Dec 19 19:15:25 UTC 2006

Ed. by Joseph Schafer.  1931.  Madison: State Historical Society of
Wisconsin.

Interesting and entertaining material from a "Forty-Niner".

My interest in it is mainly the CJ, though there's also good evidence of
Californian lingua franca Spanish (mangled, and kinda pidgin-like) plus
American English and immigrant German idioms.

Pages 158, 162-2, 168-9, and 181 caught my eye.

Fairchild generally drops a few CJ words into his English sentences, though
he does relay a couple of full CJ sentences in idiosyncratic spelling.

He traveled around California mining and working odd jobs before winding up
in the northern part.  There his letters start to contain CJ.  This is
1854, when he was at "Ollilie Rancho[,] Scotts Valley[,] Siskiyou Co[unty]"
and "Scotts Bar[,] Scotts River".

It's always nice to find more information about CJ in California.

--Dave R