Another Chinook Jargon dictionary [fwd from D Lewis]

Leanne Riding riding at TIMETEMPLE.COM
Wed Jun 7 04:47:06 UTC 2006

One of these, or a variant of it, seems to be listed in an excerpted
section of a Pilling work recently added to Project Guteberg:

James Constantine Pilling, Catalogue Of Linguistic Manuscripts In The
Library Of The Bureau Of Ethnology (1881).

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/17262/17262-0.txt

The entry for Belden is:

=Belden=(_Lieut._ George P.). Vocabulary of the Chinook Jargon.
    27 ll. 12^o. Alphabetically arranged.
---- Dictionary of the Snake, Crow, and Sioux, alphabetically arranged.
    182 pp. 8^o. Collected in 1868.

George Belden wrote a book about his experiences with the Sioux. It can
be found at the Making of America website of the University of Michigan.

http://name.umdl.umich.edu/abj1451.0001.001

Based on a quick skim of the table of contents, I'd say he was in the
Chinook Jargon part of the world about 1866-7.

- Leanne