Another Chinook Jargon dictionary [fwd from D Lewis]

hzenk at PDX.EDU hzenk at PDX.EDU
Wed Jun 7 19:25:32 UTC 2006

> Belden wrote a book about his experiences with the Sioux. It can
> be found at the Making of America website of the University of Michigan.
>
> http://name.umdl.umich.edu/abj1451.0001.001
>
> Based on a quick skim of the table of contents, I'd say he was in the
> Chinook Jargon part of the world about 1866-7.

I'm not sure about 1866-7, but he was certainly in the Pacific Northwest about
10 years earlier, since he drafted the map of treaty cessions made under Joel
Palmer's superintendancy in the mid-1850s:  "Sketch Map of Oregon Territory,
Exhibiting the Locations of the Various Indian Tribes, the Districts of Country
Ceded by Them, with the Dates of Purchases and Treaties, and the Reserves of the
Umpqua and Rogue River Indians" (cited from the bibliography of the Handbook of
North American Indians, vol. 7, 1990).  His Chinook Jargon dictionary, in two
ms versions, is listed in Pilling's "Bibliography of the Chinookan Languages
(Including the Chinook Jargon)" (1893).  Pilling says that the two versions are
the same, except that the second is "more systematically arranged and the
spelling is changed to more modern usage."  It might be interesting to compare
the spellings in the original to those of the revised version.  Henry