Badlam 1891 copied from Hibben?

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Thu Jun 8 16:48:03 UTC 2006

Hi,

A book I hadn't heard of before turned up in a WorldCat search.

This one isn't in Sam Johnson's great bibliography (1978), nor in
Reinecke's (1975), not in Pilling (1893).  Less-specialized bibs might have
it, but all I've photocopied from Smith, Soliday/Decker, or Lowther are the
bits about Le Jeune's shorthand. So who knows.

The book is Alexander Badlam (1891), "The Wonders of Alaska" [3rd edition,
revised], self-published in San Francisco.  The copy I'm looking at was
donated by William Heryet, "Engineer - Soldier - Reader," to UBC in 1964.
Its original owner was S.E. (or A.E.?) Baltin (?) M.D., who autographed it
on May 28, 1894.

Chapter XI is "The Chinook Jargon," pages 141-144.  It's very superficial
and refers only to Hibben's dictionary as an authority.  No reference is
made, for example, to any actual speakers or remembered conversations.  A
bit of "selected" vocabulary appears, maybe from Hibben.  Here are a few
examples in Badlam's spelling, in case anyone here wants to check:

Sugar -- le sook; shugae
Fork -- la poosshet
Dollar -- dolla or tahla
Deer -- mowitsh
Language -- lk lang
Bear (black) -- chet-woof; its-woot

The original owner made a couple of notations next to Badlam's prose
discussion of Jargon.  Baltin marked "!" next to this: "Of course, the
native races of the region comprehended as Alaska had a distinctive
language of their own prior to the advent of foreigners in their midst,
though there were undoubtedly different dialects in each tribe[...]"

And he marked "!!" next to this: "But in the past century these languages
have been so corrupted that they have lost their distinctive character and
become condensed into a sort of jargon general among all the aborigines of
the region."

So Baltin was aware that there are several different Indigenous languages
of Alaska, and that Jargon didn't form out of these.

Whether Badlam had much acquaintance with Alaska is unclear.  His book is a
tourist guide (must be among the earliest for Alaska!)...and it seems like
the writing of a tourist, liberally mixed with quotes from newspaper
articles published in the lower 48.  Badlam's knowledge of Native cultures
seems nonexistent outside the sources he quotes.  He manages to
misinterpret many of these, too, for example claiming that the "potlach" is
practiced by all the tribes of "Oregon, Washington, Alaska and British
Columbia and extending as far interior as Idaho and Montana"--does that
wording sound familiar?  It's the standard description of the range of
Chinook Jargon, not of the word "potlach."  Badlam describes the range of
the term: "among all the Coast Indians, the same word is used.  It is
believed to be of Chinook origin."  He's pretty mixed up.

Badlam also resorts to the desperate tactic of the ignorant in repeatedly
implying that the Indigenous people talk about "heap big medicine" and
other stereotypical phrasings.  Pages 30-31 paint Alaskan Natives, also
stereotypically, as lacking a sense of humor (the one tiny exception coming
from the chief Saginaw Jake).  I admit Badlam sounds like he's genuinely
from California when he manages to work in a tangential
comment, "The 'Diggers' of California at certain seasons of the year go
down on all fours and eat vegetation..."  But this doesn't mean he *knows*
anything.

I'm afraid the original owner of this copy had similar reactions.  Along
with the exclamation points noted above, Baltin criticizes many of Badlam's
statements.  I enjoy his "bosh!" next to Badlam's "San Francisco might be
called an eastern rather than a western city" and his "Canadian" every time
Mt. St. Elias is mentioned.

Overall this book is interesting mainly for being one of the earlier pieces
published about Alaska.  Badlam may have preserved some newspaper articles
here that won't be found anywhere else.  Everything he says regarding
Chinook Jargon manages to sound deeply ignorant and racist.

--Dave R