Native employees of sealing ships

Terry Glavin glavin at INTERCHANGE.UBC.CA
Sun Apr 8 22:28:29 UTC 2007

 Just a note to say native people were certainly not just employees on
sealing schooners.

 While aboriginal people appear to have made up the bulk of the labour force
in the Victoria-based fur-seal schooner fleet, the community of Ditidaht, on
Vancouver Island's southwest coast, owned three sealing schooners.
Specifically, they were owned by Charlie Chipps, Jimmie Nyetom and Jim
Nawassum. Up the central coast, Heiltsuk fisherman Fred Carpenter built a
sealing schooner at Bella Bella, costing him $4000, which was an absolute
fortunate in those days (sometime around 1900).

 The Makah people owned a fleet of 12 sealing schooners, three of which were
owned by Maquinna Jongie Claplanhoo, and Chestoqua Peterson owned the 42-ton
brig Columbia as well as his own trading post.

 About 20 years ago I was fortunate to have interviewed the sealer Charles
Queesto Jones of Pacheenaht, shortly before he died. He was 112. He had
great stories of the high-seas fur-seal industry. I've always thought it
astonishing how our views of west coast native life were coloured by such
images as those beautiful sepia-toned photographs Edward Curtis took of
Nuu-chah-nulth people barefoot in cedar capes weilding spears - years after
Nuu-chah-nulth people were already sailing their own high-seas schooners in
the Sea of Okhotsk, and wintering in Yokohama.

 Cheers,

 TG

NOTE MY NEW E-ADDRESS: terry.glavin at gmail.com
ALL UBC MAIL SEND TO: glavin at interchange.ubc.ca