Native employees of sealing ships

Scott Tyler s.tylermd at COMCAST.NET
Wed Apr 25 01:42:17 UTC 2007

Hi Terry,
My grand mother Cecelia Frank from Ehaitesat & Newchatlet (married name
Smith and Sternbeck) said she had worked on sealing schooners.  According to
my mother Cecelia had gone to the Bering Straights.  I am interested whether
her name might have appeared on a schooner log as a worker.
I never did know if these schooners were owned by Americans or Canadians or
if they were Native owned.

Neah Bay elders did talk of owning a number of schooners.  I was not aware
of documentation about the number of Neah Bay owned schooners.  Tribal
elders told me, the Indian owners of schooners were forced to give up their
schooners in Neah Bay by the Indian Agent or a Washington State Agent who
cited laws that, "Indians were not allowed to be skippers of these ships"
Makahs being a generally civil tribe accepted this situation and got rid of
their schooners.  I have not seen documentation off these forced events.
Makah were compliant
in giving up these ships, stopping whale hunting and put gabled rooves on
their long house rafters or tore the long houses down and learned to raise
carrots and potatoes which do grown in Neah Bay as directed by the federal
government Indian agents.

Now a days, armed with good lawyers the tribes put up better struggles,
created paper trails, and are less apt to do as told.

I do know many of the pictures taken by Curtis did use props, some wigs, and
traditional clothing.

I did meet Charlie Jones of Pacheenaht, and met his wife, and step son John
Thomas who worked with the Makah Language program.
Charlie did talk of a giant canoe that was made by Natives which was taken
out on the sea and found difficult to control and was hauled ashore and
not used again.  He described it as a 'monster canoe'. He said there were
pictures taken of this huge Nootkan style canoe.

Greetings Scott/ooshtaqi