Native employees of sealing ships

Terry Glavin glavin at INTERCHANGE.UBC.CA
Wed Apr 25 02:30:43 UTC 2007

Hi Scott.

Great to talk to someone else who remembers the great Charles Queesto Jones.

 I have a photograph of what must be that "monster canoe" around someplace.
And indeed it was a monster. It was the size of the hull of a small
schooner; the photo I've seen depicts some men standing in it while it's on
it's side and they look like dwarfs. I'll see if I can fine it - I expect it
is in the on-line photo archives of the B.C. Archives and Records Service
but it might take a while to find. As I recall, the caption had the word
"Nitinat Lake" in it.

 ". . . the Indian owners of schooners were forced to give up their
schooners in Neah Bay by the Indian Agent or a Washington State Agent who
cited laws that, "Indians were not allowed to be skippers of these ships"
Makahs being a generally civil tribe accepted this situation and got rid of
their schooners.  I have not seen documentation off these forced events."

 This is almost certainly a recollection of the Fur Seal Treaty of 1911. It
scuppered the Victoria fleet, and as I recall, on this side of the line,
aboriginal and non-aboriginal skippers were compensated. I seem to recall
having come across the record of Fred Carpenter's schooner in his
compensation claim.

 Cheers,

 TG

NOTE MY NEW E-ADDRESS: terry.glavin at gmail.com