Native employees of sealing ships

Duane Pasco dpasco at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Apr 25 03:43:52 UTC 2007

Terry........
	You don't know me. I usually don't reply to these things, but I
couldn't let this one go sans comment.
	I believe the canoe mentioned is one that was actually carved at Clo-
oose, an abandoned Nitinat village just south of the entrance to
Nitinat lake [actually a fourteen mile long fjord.]
	There are a couple of photos of it that appear in various
publications. The captions usually say something like " Canoe carved
by the Natives from Nitinat and that the waters in the area were too
turbulant for the crew to handle it and it was discarded".
	The canoe which was about sixty feet long with an approximate beam
of eight feet was commissioned by some Non-Natives with the idea of
starting a freight business from Victoria and up the west coast of
vancouver Island. A couple of carvers from Nitinat village carved
every day on it, camping at the site and returning home for the week-
end. I'm not sure wether the white guys worked on it, or not. When it
was completed and turned over to the clients, they couldn't handle it
and so they discarded it as a loss. There are some White men in the
photos and one might assume that they were the ones who commissioned
it and may have helped in it's construction. At any rate the Nitinat
tribe were able to handle it just fine and I was told by people at
Nitinat that it was used for years and made many trips to Neah Bay
for potlatches.
	There is a "Tashtai", or dinner song sung by members of Nitinat that
pokes fun at the carvers of the village that worked on the canoe.
Part of the words translate as something like "What are you doing?
What are you making? and "What's with the White guys?"
	One of the photos has been used by other tribes such as Suquamish's
museum, claiming it to be one of their ancient vessels.
	I've made a lot of canoes and would truly loved to have seen that on
in the flesh.
	Duane Pasco