Blue Heron

jlarmagost jlarmagost at VERIZON.NET
Sat Apr 28 15:06:14 UTC 2007

BTW, since Tony mentioned Charles Cultee, I've been wondering for some time
whether his name was stressed on the first syllable or the last. I've seen
it cited both ways, sometimes by a single author in a single article or
other work. Given the possibility/probability of typos, I haven't been able
to pin it down yet.

hayu masi--

Jim

jlarmagost at verizon.net

-----Original Message-----
From: The Chinook List [mailto:CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG]On Behalf
Of Tony Johnson
Sent: Friday, April 27, 2007 10:22 AM
To: CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Blue Heron

  Blue Heron's specifically.

  By the way: I never knew the word Blue Heron as a child because my family
always called them "Bay Center Turkeys."  Bay Center is the Chinook Indian
community where many of us come from in recent years.  This includes my
family, my wife's family, as well as many well know Chinooks like Charles
Cultee and Emma Luscier.  I can't really say why they were referred to that
way.

  Oh, and as for Scott inquiry about Robin's name-we usually say "pil
 tutush" or "pil tutush kala-kala."  I don't know that this is as taught by
our elders, but is a good fit. Some of us also use the word "skasayt" which
is one of the original words from the area.

  hayu masi (many thanks),

  Tony A. Johnson

  Cultural Education Coordinator

  Confederated Tribes of Grand Ronde