Chinook Jargon in Music

John Lutz jlutz at UVIC.CA
Wed Apr 25 18:26:14 UTC 2007

Hi Everyone,

While I am writing to the list on  sealing  I am reminded about two
references to CJ in music that I came across (but have not listened to)
at the BC Archives:

*Finding Aid - Illahee shanties : music by Elliot Weisgarber*
OverviewDescriptive Record: Part of Imbert Orchard recordsTitle: Illahee
shanties : music by Elliot WeisgarberMaterial: sound
recordingCreator-Author(s): Creation Date:produced 1971Physical
<http://search.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/sn-28B2826/view/SoundRecordings/find%2Bindian%2B%2B%2B%2B3-SoundRecordings/74#holdings>Series:
(CBC midweek)

Scope and Content
Call Number:T3312:0001Summary:A presentation of music by Vancouver
composer Elliot Weisgarber, inspired by the B.C. landscape. Comprises:
(1) "The Land of Astace", a prelude and three interludes interpolating
three Carrier Indian legends; (2) "Chilcotin Interlude"; and (3) "The
Ultimate Islands", a prelude and three interludes for string quartet,
plus two segments dealing with natural sounds. The music was
commissioned by the CBC to mark B.C.'s Centennial (1971), and performed
by an 11-piece ensemble conducted by John Avison. The program includes
discussions of the work by the composer, the conductor, and Imbert
Orchard, who produced the program at CBC Vancouver. Other voices heard
include: Maxine George and Lizette Hall.

Notes:
Credits:*Producer*: Imbert Orchard; *narrator*: Daniel George;
*composer*: Elliot M. Weisgarber; *conductor*: John Henry Avison.Other
Formats:

Reference cassette copy available in container 000443-191.

*Finding Aid - Bella Coola songs : [no. 2]*
Overview Descriptive Record: Part of Mildred Valley Thornton collection
Title: Bella Coola songs : [no. 2]Material: sound
recordingCreator-Author(s): Creation Date:recorded 1953-04Physical
<http://search.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/sn-28B2826/view/SoundRecordings/find-all%2Bsiwallace%2B%2B%2B%2B/2#holdings>

Scope and Content
[includes]  Chinook love song by Pat Schooner. 8. Bella Coola love song.
9. La Halle [lahal?] song. 10. Mrs. Stephen Siwallace's mourning song

--

John Lutz
History Department
University of Victoria