Indian CJ pronunciation sources and a few words

Duane Pasco dpasco at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri Dec 28 05:31:05 UTC 2007

George.......
	Please allow me to apologize. I have long since gotten over my
enitial reaction to the comment. Also I was probably taking your
comment out of context. I don't even recall how it went and it
doesn't matter now.
	When I was growing up I never heard anyone, Native, or otherwise
refer to Chinook Jargon as "Wawa", but rather simply "Chinook", until
this recent interest in the phenomenon. If you ask someone wether
they speak Chinook Jargon and you say "Maika wawa Wawa?", it's a
little weird. Also, most folks called a year "year", or "yeah". Once
in while someone might "cole laly". Happy new year = "kloshe chee
cole laly". Actually, I never heard anyone wish someone a happy new
year in Chinook, but if they had, I would presume it would have been
something like that.
	Sometime in the 1980's when I was contemplating publishing a Chinook
dictionary, I had mentioned it to an elder of the Okanogan tribe who
spoke Chinook jargon. His comment like the famous Mr. Mcleod of
Ketchikan about the same time was "How you gonna spell it.?"
	My answer to both of them was that I felt it didn't matter, and that
I could spell it with Hiragana, or the "Captain Marvel code", or
whatever, as long as I was consistent and I let everyone know what
the symbols meant.
	Their question got me curious and I began looking at earlier
attempts at dictionaries. I'm sure you have done the same. What a
diversity.
	It reminds me of when I was hired to teach at the K'san project in
Hazelton B.C. in 1969. I wanted to learn as much Gitk'san language as
I could. I told Bill Holm that I was going to try and record as much
vocabulary as I was able. He asked me [you guessed it] "How are you
going to spell it"?
	I gave him the same answer I gave the other two fellows. Bill
suggested I pick up a copy of a book entitled "Learning an Unwritten
Language". I did, but found it a little academic for my purposes. I
had been reading a lot of Barbeau and I decided to use his phonetic
system, which is fine if you are familiar with the fact that he is
French. I used his system for about a month and then changed to
something that made more sense to me. I learned a lot during my
fourteen month stay there.
	I'm rambling. Sorry.
	Anyway, I find your spelling interesting and very different from
mine, but I understand anyway, illustrating my point. For the Chinook
stuff, I decided to go with something very similar to that of George
Gibbs, who's dictionary I consider to be the best and the one that
probably influenced Chinook Jargon speakers from  the time of it's
publication in 1863 on. Most of the subsequent dictionaries have been
plagiarizing of his work, in my humble opinion.
	It's a sad fact that since 1960, I haven't found more than a half
dozen people that spoke Chinook Jargon well, ones that learned as
children and not from a book. I think that WWII had a great effect on
it's demise.  I'm losing it myself now with no one to speak it with,
I mean real conversations, not just a few words here and there.
	It was great while it lasted.
	Thanks for contacting me and I consider it a compliment that you
were a subscriber for as long as "Tenas Wawa lasted. I've been toying
with the idea of starting it up again, but if I did, I would drop the
"Tonto" talk and transcribe it in real English.
	I would like to meet you some time and engage in a little chit chat.
	Yours in friendship, Duane Pasco