Oysters and clams

John McCabe john at OYSTERS.US
Sun Feb 18 02:54:10 UTC 2007

Hello,

Please excuse any breach of this list’s etiquette on my part (my first
posting).
I’ve read a number of interesting comments in this list and have learned a
little about the linguistic differences that must be observed between
Upper/Lower Chinook.
Does anyone know the word for oyster(s). Historically there was only one
oyster type in the domain of the lower Chinook (the Olympia oyster - Ostrea
lurida a.k.a. O. Conchaphila), so a differentiation in species would not be
an issue. Also, there are obviously no oysters growing in the domain of the
upper Chinook and I strongly suspect (for a number of reasons) that oysters
(unlike clams) had no trade value with inland Chinook. Perhaps the word for
oyster(s) was the same in all dialects?

Clams, however, are far more mysterious. For instance, James Swan (The
Northwest Coast, 1857) raved about the various clams that were processed
(smoked, dried
) and traded inland. So there may possibly have been
different Chinook names for different clam types besides just a word like
“clam(s)”. If unknown, I’ll gratefully settle for the translation of clam(s)
of course.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Best wishes,

John