OT: name of Vancouver BC

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Wed Feb 21 16:58:43 UTC 2007

Off topic a little, but maybe interesting:

Ts'amas / Ts'amis / Ts'am'as

is the name of Vancouver, BC in languages of at least 3 unrelated families:

Wakashan, Salish and Tsimshian.

A Kwak'wala speaker has told me it means "pointing place", referring to the
spires of all the churches in a city.  She has it as the name of Victoria,
BC as well as of Vancouver.

I wonder how this name got shared so widely? Victoria is older, and for a
while was more important than Vancouver, so that may be the older meaning.
And if the name is Kwak'wala (Kwakiutl), does that help explain its wide
distribution?  (Speakers of Kw. & closely related languages traditionally
live in territories pretty far northward from here.)

-Dave R.