Washington place names

Dave Robertson ddr11 at UVIC.CA
Fri Jul 20 01:56:12 UTC 2007

Thanks for the link, Emmett.  I'm glad to see some activity on the list.

For my part, I recently moved from Victoria to Spokane, where I'm starting
a new job.  So I haven't had much spare time.

But here's a brief note.  A letter by a Shuswap man discusses someone
learning to "mamuk kriit" (or "mamuk krilt").  Since this person elsewhere
interjects some Salish in his writing, I wonder if the second word could
be Shuswap.  Shorthand <kr> often stands for a popping [q'] sound.  Maybe
we have something like /q'ey'-t/ here, a stative form based on the root
for 'writing'.  This exact form isn't listed in the Shuswap sources I use
for some current work.  (Another cause of my freetimelessness.)  But who
knows?

More Jargon letters soon!

--Dave R