More on stop = to be in BC Jargon

harristb@emily.eou.edu harristb at EMILY.EOU.EDU
Sun Jun 10 05:21:05 UTC 2007

Interesting about the use of the word “stop”, in Hawaiian pidgin we use the
word “stay” in the same way.

I had always wondered if any Chinuk wawa words made it into Hawaiian
pidgin, then recently I saw written in an old pidgin joke book the word
“hi-makamaka”.  I always thought it was a Hawaiian word but I guess it
could be from Chinuk wawa.  I pronounce it “hai maka maka”, it means
someone that tries to act bigger or better than they really are.  I still
use it occasionally when speaking pidgin with friends.

Anyone aware of any other Chinuk wawa words making it into Hawaiian pidgin?

Tanya

Original Message:
-----------------
From: Dave Robertson ddr11 at UVIC.CA
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 19:10:46 -0400
To: CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: More on "stop" = "to be" in BC Jargon

I've included some additional material here to avoid posting two small
messages.  Here's a quotation of more BC aboriginal people using "stop" in
their Jargon.  The sentence seems to mean something like "A ferocious bear
was here."  --  Dave R.

Gillespie, Alexander.  [N.d. (circa 1954?)].  Journey through life.
[N.l.: n.p.].

Page 68: surveying timber limits at the head of Rivers Inlet, BC, 1910:

"Owekans Lake...The Indians could hardly speak any English and we had to
talk in Chinook, which fortunately I knew enough of to make them
understand...At one place, the Indians appeared to be almost afraid.  When
I asked them what was the matter, they told me, 'Him solix bear stop.'...I
had opened a tin of bully beef...suddenly one of the Indians...dug his
fork into the beef and took the whole piece up, and started to gnaw
it.  'Here,' I said, 'What the devil do you think you're doing?...'  He
stared at me and...said, 'Mika halo quash nika,' which in plain English
means, 'I am not afraid of you.' "

To respond to the CHINOOK list, click 'REPLY ALL'.  To respond privately to
the sender of a message, click 'REPLY'.  Hayu masi!