Saloon tokens & Jargon

Dave Robertson ddr11 at UVIC.CA
Sat Jun 16 06:36:52 UTC 2007

A little-known part of Northwest history: tokens that were good for a free
drink (etc.) at saloons.

Researching U.E. Fries' mention of an Okanogan-country "Tumwater Saloon"
that was a hangout of tough guys, I've found documentation of a saloon
token from Tumwater, Washington.

http://home.pacbell.net/tokenbob/saloon.html

The same website lists a "Ticki Saloon", Tonopah, Nevada...I guess not
Jargon.  It'd be a nice name if it were.

There's also a Pilchuck Saloon, Woodland, WA.

I'm not sure yet the time period when these tokens were issued; many of
them are in denominations of 12.5 and 6.25 cents, i.e. a "bit" and a "half
bit".  (U.E. Fries' book, by the way, notes 1880s usage in Washington
state: a "short bit" was a dime, 10 cents.)
http://www.pdxcoinclub.org/gallery/SaloonTokens/SaloonTokens.html says
saloon tokens were common from the 1880s onward.

--Dave R