Pitfalls of digitizing old documents

David Lewis coyotez at UOREGON.EDU
Sun Mar 11 22:21:32 UTC 2007

Similarly, if you do a search for books at the University of Oregon website, or even through Worldcat or Summit, only about 40%-70% (depending on subject) of the available books at the library are entered into the indexing system. So many of the books are only available through an in-person search of the library. The Library is now making decisions as to which books to get rid of based upon use. So many of these unused and unindexed books will go unnoticed for many years. They are also unavailable for interlibrary use. I wonder if this same situation exists in other research libraries? Likely.

David G Lewis, MA PhD ABD
Department of Anthropology, University of Oregon
Confederated Tribes of Grand Ronde