Origin of "Coquille"?

hzenk at PDX.EDU hzenk at PDX.EDU
Sun May 6 02:58:23 UTC 2007

Back to "skakwal"/Coquille:

I knew I had an email sometime way back there from Dell Hymes on
skakwal.  It was kind of off the cuff so the details should be
checked, but the form does seem to be analyzably Chinookan.  In Kiksht
(the easternmost dialect cluster of Upper Chinook) there is both
iS-gAkwal and i-gAkwal (A for stressed "a", iS- for the Upper Chinook
dual corresponding to Lower Chinook S-, i- for masculine singular).
-l looks to be a continuative suffix, ga- looks to be the verbal stem
for 'go, move', -gw could be (?) a verbal suffix ('about', as in 'go
about'). Interestingly, the word looks very close to the Clackamas
Kiksht word recorded for 'spider':  a-LUgagwli (L- barred-l, U
stressed), which Dell is less sure about, but which could be a-
feminine + L- indefinite transitive subject + -ga-gw- (as in
'lamprey') + -li 'like' (?).  Dell concluded (tentatively): "it seems
very likely that the name was a descriptive name, something about the
way it moved (continually, repeatedly).  The use of the same form for
a kind of 'spider' would indicate that a spider (some kind of spider,
probably not all spiders?) was perceived as having motion in a similar
way."  In a similarly speculative spirit, he wondered if lampreys
could be perceived as having two mouths, hence explaining the dual.
There is also Kiksht a-gAkwal 'eel berries' (a- = feminine sing.),
named because their color resembles that of the lamprey.

IF i-gAkwal were the source of  Jargon 'lamprey', we would indeed
expect gAkwal: when the stress is on the stem the i- usually drops off
when the word becomes Jargon.  Only trouble is, I've never seen
anything like *gakwal, only skakwal, presumably derived from the Lower
Chinook, which has S- not iS- for the dual.  Henry