2-mouthed lampreys? Re: Origin of "Coquille"?

Dave Robertson ddr11 at UVIC.CA
Sun May 6 19:36:10 UTC 2007

Another suggestion about Chinookan nouns with the dual prefix is not mine,
I think.  It may have come up on this list a few years back.  Someone
suggested the dual "s-" might carry the sense "a couple of____".  This use
of dual number and its equivalents is common in the world.  In English we
have "a couple of___" / "coupla", Hungarian, Slovak and Slovenian
have "pAr" (pair) in the same sense, and so on.  Could Chinookan have
used "s-" to refer to things usually harvested "a couple" at a time?  (By
the way, I don't know how to fish for lampreys.)

--Dave R