2-mouthed lampreys? Re: Origin of "Coquille"?

hzenk at PDX.EDU hzenk at PDX.EDU
Sun May 6 20:10:45 UTC 2007

Or to go a bit farther out on this limb, since lampreys (and spiders)
attack their prey by clinging onto and sucking out the latters'
juices, maybe the dual refers to the predator-clinging-to-prey pair?
Many Grand Ronde elders remember going lamprey fishing with their
families.  Usually they used a long pole with a 3-pronged hook to pull
the lampreys off of rock faces at falls (the lampreys cling to the
rocks with their sucker mouths and inch their ways up).  To the kids
(that is the now elders) fell the task of grabbing the lampreys and
throwing them into gunny sacks.  Careful, they'll snake around and
grab you with their suckers!  An older method was to take them by
torchlight as they swam up creeks at night, grabbing them out of the
water hind-most first (or hmmm, by pairs?).  Henry