Le Jeune 1886 = Durieu's flying sheets

Dave Robertson ddr11 at UVIC.CA
Wed May 16 23:58:54 UTC 2007

...that's what I now think.

That is, Father Le Jeune's one Jargon publication before he invented the
shorthand is probably based on the mini-lessons that Bishop Pierre-Paul
Durieu gave him while they were crossing the Atlantic in 1879.  That's when
Le Jeune first learned CJ.

Some clues that Le Jeune isn't conveying Kamloops-area Jargon include the
appearance of the word 'schooner' in the vocabulary (there were steamboats
in the Interior, but as far as I've found, they were called stimbot in
Jargon).

And a version of the word for 'to want' in this little book is spelled
<tre'h>, surely reflecting the pronunciation tq'EX found in coastal areas
in earlier times.  There is no evidence for that pronunciation in any
Interior BC Jargon materials I've ever come across.

Next step is to compare the 1886 vocab with Le Jeune's 1924 publication,
which explicitly reproduces the 'flying sheets'.  Both documents are
available for free as PDFs at www.canadiana.org.

--Dave R.