Hunter 1889

Dave Robertson ddr11 at UVIC.CA
Sun May 27 07:37:25 UTC 2007

Here's another book with a lively point of view.  Sometimes too lively for
some folks' taste, I imagine.  He repeatedly uses the phrase "good Indian
(s)" [as in "the only good Indian is a dead one"] in reporting the death
of Indigenous people.  But a merciful change from the Victorian norm is
his slangy delivery throughout.

Hunter, George.  1889.  Reminiscences of an old timer.  Battle Creek, MI:
Review and Herald.

This man seems to have worked, lived, and battled in every part of Jargon-
speaking country in the 1850s and onward.  His reminiscences of Jargon are
in idiosyncratic spellings, suggesting they're firsthand, not cribbed from
some popular book for local color.  An example is his phrase "Nika cupet
wa-wa" for "I have finished speaking."

This book is more evidence for the currency of Jargon in the upper
Columbia (Palouse) region circa 1880.  A couple years earlier, to be
accurate.

--Dave R