Chilcotin CJ-English mix, from another source

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Tue May 29 20:37:30 UTC 2007

This is getting interesting.  I've just stumbled across a book some of you
must already be familiar with.  It's "Many Trails" by the well-known, and
enjoyable, Canadian writer R.D. Symons.  It was published in 1963 by
Longmans Canada Ltd.  This book has been mentioned a few years ago on the
CHINOOK list, but in a totally different connection.

Today is the first time I've read it, and I find Chapter 7 is devoted to
the Chilcotin Indian neighbours of Symons.  The time is unspecified, but
may be the 1920s or 30s.  Like 1890s sources I've recently mentioned,
Symons has the Chilcotins speaking a unique blend of Jargon and English...

..And it's not just any English, but a variety that shares much in common
with pidgin Englishes of the Pacific and elsewhere.  Just as I've found
among English loans in the Salish shorthand writers' Jargon, the Chilcotins
appear saying "stop" as a possessive (and other?) copula.  They
say "bymbye" / by-and-by.  Their way of expressing knowing is "savvy".  The
infamous suffix "-um" is on some verbs.

The English part of the Chilcotins' speech participates in fascinating
expressions I've not found elsewhere, which Symons points out and explains
at some length.  For example, he makes sure the reader knows the difference
between "cultus coulee" (traveling aimlessly) and "go klatawa" (traveling
to a particular place).

Here is a sample of remembered speech as written by Symons:

"One tam...me see um that Ankiti Siwash -- my hyu scare -- all he dlaid hyu
(extremely) tall -- he helo shirt his back; he helo mocassin his feet; helo
hat his head stop -- just plenty hair like bush.  Me no savvy see-um that
fellow before -- me hyu cumtux (guess) him Ankiti Siwash!  Me go way that
place all same cultus coulee."

(Here 'Ankiti Siwash' is said to mean the 'stick Indians', apparently
plural; note 'dlaid' = 'delate' / 'dret' for 'really'.)

Just a few quick observations, if I may...

* Symons had not spent time in the Pacific, as far as I know, having
immigrated to western Canada from Britain circa 1914 and worked steadily in
ranching.

** He had a good ear for the way various groups of people around him
spoke.  In his books he quotes quite a bit of Cree, French and cowboy
Spanish as he heard it, for example, and he also makes many specific
identifications of people's accents.

*** The similarity of Symons' Chilcotin CJ-English mix to specimens
recorded decades earlier in other sources suggests a fairly stable local
variety.  (I have a hard time calling it either CJ or English, at first
blush.)

**** Symons' spellings of CJ are really idiosyncratic, so I don't get the
impression he was copying bits o' Jargon out of a dictionary for some
journalistic colour.

There's more research to be done on this subject.  For now I've got a
hypothesis (why not) that the Chilcotin region's very early prominence as
an interior BC contact zone led to early introduction of Jargon, plus heavy
exposure to colloquial and foreigner-talk English.  Since the Chilcotin
held onto its reputation of 'wildness' for a long time, standard English
may not have made serious inroads until after Symons' time there.

Cheers,

--Dave R