Kirchoff, "Oregon East, Oregon West"

James Crippen jcrippen at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 7 22:26:01 UTC 2007

On 6/7/07, Duane Pasco <dpasco at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Maybe the guy is simply saying "Shoo, shoo!"
> Duane
> On Jun 7, 2007, at 3:42 PM, Dave Robertson wrote:
> > One item not specified as to language is the "word for dog ('Dschu!
> > Dschu!')" used when kicking slow-moving Indian dogs out of the way.  I
> > guess it could be from a language local to The Dalles area.

I think this is similar in a lot of languages. The Tlingit word for
yelling at dogs, insects, and even very irritating children is "chuk".
It's one of the early words in a person's vocabulary.

"Chuk dei!" = "Get lost!", "Scram!", "Screw off!", "Leave already!"

Using it for people is quite rude, but can be done when joking with
friends. And it's normal for flies, clouds of no-see-ums, dogs, etc.

James