Chinook olives

Scott Tyler s.tylermd at COMCAST.NET
Fri Sep 21 16:12:14 UTC 2007

See below comments,
Scott

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Crippen" <jcrippen at GMAIL.COM>
To: <CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG>
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2007 4:19 PM
Subject: Re: Chinook olives

> On 9/18/07, Scott Tyler <s.tylermd at comcast.net> wrote:
>> I have had stinky heads once in Alaska about 20 years ago in the Bristol
>> Bay
>> area.  Some Innuit folks invited me over for a triple header---sounded
>> like
>> we were going to a baseball game. Well, I did manage to eat one fish head
>> which was fermented.  The heads were torn apart with our bear hands and
>> rinsed each piece in the river just before we popped it into our mouths.
>> The fingerlings in the river had a treat too!  We all had some hot tea to
>> 'cook up the fish' they said.
>
> Good stuff. I always thought the hot tea afterwards was for washing
> the bits out of your mouth, but heating it up in your belly is good
> too, especially when it's chilly. Which it always is up in Eskimo
> country.

Scott---Makah  tea is  chi'iiqs  and coffee is q'aapii

> By the way, tea in Tlingit is "cháayu", which was borrowed from
> Russian. The original term in Russian is "chai" but in the partitive
> ("some of") it's "chaju" as in "davai pjom chaju" - "let's drink some
> tea".
>
>> In Neah Bay there is  aach paab which is fermented fish eggs. Don't know
>> if
>> any one makes it today.

Scott ---It might be nice if some one learns how to make.
My dad said his grandmother would put the eggs in a sack in the upper part
of the smoke house
and sprinkle flower on the sack.  Eventually it would get cured.  It the
spring it was good with berry sprouts.
This is definitely not the recipe if you are wrong in preparation you could
be dead wrong (botulism).