Highberg, "Orchard Prairie: The first hundred years, 1879-1979"

David D Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Tue Feb 26 02:18:32 UTC 2008

Dot Van Leuven's birth name was Nina Jane Stoneman and she was born in 1886
on Peone Prairie, now part of Spokane, WA (page 154 of the same book).  As
an adult she went on to live in Colville and Molson.  In the latter place
especially she could've had plenty of chances to use Chinook.  In past
years, I've posted references to CJ use up there.

By the way, this book mentions a native man named Cluyah or Clooyah (I can't
find the page now, wouldn't you know).  That's got to be the Salish name now
well-known as Cullooyah.

--Dave R

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 01:44:55 -0500, Dave Robertson <ddr11 at UVIC.CA> wrote:

>Fairfield, WA: Ye Galleon Press, 1998.
>
>(You know I have a special interest in the sparse history of Jargon in the
>Spokane area.  Here's an excerpt I found while browsing a neighborhood book
>store today.  It's valuable partly because of its unstandardized spellings
>of Jargon words...can you make them out?  --  Dave)
>
>Page 51:
>
>"THE WHITE-HAIRED INDIAN
>
>by
>
>Louise Gertrude Stoneman
>
>from
>
>Dot Van Leuven's notebook
>
>I had been married only a few months when one day an Indian opened the door
>and walked in and sat down.  I said, 'Kla Howia m six.'  [sic]
>
>He said, 'How Boston man home?'
>
>'No,' I said, 'He had gone to Spokane.'
>
>'Stoneman see Quiton?  Jkatawa O ict moxt-clone sun' [sic] (Meaning they,
>"the ponies" had been gone one, two, three days.)  He had hunted all over,
>he said, and could not find them.  He had come here thinking that Stoneman
>had seen them.  His talk was half English, half Chinook jargon.  ...It was
>young Tenesler...[who] lived on Orchard Prairie."
>
>To respond to the CHINOOK list, click 'REPLY ALL'.  To respond privately to
the sender of a message, click 'REPLY'.  Hayu masi!