Highberg, "Orchard Prairie: The first hundred years, 1879-1979"

Tina Wynecoop wynecoop at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 27 22:42:50 UTC 2008

Which name you mention in your post (Cluyah), if I am not mistaken, means "butterfly" and is a Flathead Salish surname.  One of my former students has the English version for her last name...and then there are some of th Kalsipells who use the other spelling...
There is a Stoneman Road on Peone Prairie...very near the infamous, still standing, Treaty Tree.

One of Nina Stonemen's family, John Stoneman, made his home at Dartford, he would wait to share his stories with a young runner whom he would flag down named Jim Tomeo ( a direct decendent of Kamiakin.) Tomeo still lives along a little tributary creek on Dartford Drive.  He is of Colville/Palouse tribes.  Dartford (just north of Spokane on the Little Spokane River) was a thriving little town at the turn of the century. Dartford was also the site of Joseph's camp when he would travel between Lapwai and Nespelem. Three baby boards were placed up in trees in this middle reach of the Little Spokane river ..."burials" as it were. There is so much of cultural significance on this landscape.  People in the area probably tire of my efforts to inform them that there were others who lived here before the pioneers displaced them and the ubiquitous housing developments popped up everywhere.

I see that Sally Thompson is speaking at the Museum of Arts and Culture in Spokane on March 6:

THE WALLA WALLA TREATY OF 1855:  A TEACHER WORKSHOPThursday, March 6, 2008, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Gilkey Community Room Learn how the Walla Walla Treaty of 1855 impacted local Indian tribes and tribal lands through a study of maps, oral accounts, and primary documents.  Taught by Sally Thompson from the Regional Learning Project at the University of Montana Center for Continued Learning. This is a FREE workshop for teachers with four FREE clock hours available.  Limited to the first 30 registered participants.  Contact Kris Major at 363-5328 or krism at northwestmuseum.org to register or to get more information.  Sponsored by Eastern Washington University and Educational Service District 101 through its Teaching American History grant program.

WHY SAVE A LANGUAGE?  FILM AND PANEL DISCUSSIONThursday, March 6, 2008, 7 p.m., Eric A. Johnston AuditoriumSally Thompson is the director of the Regional Learning Project at the University of Montana Center for Continued Learning which produces multi-media resources for the study of Native American history.  Thompson has a distinguished record as a consulting anthropologist to tribes, documenting contemporary and traditional cultural practices on tribal lands.  Her program, “Why Save a Language” will consist of a short film on the topic followed by a panel discussion with representatives from local Tribal language programs. $7 admission, $5 MAC members, Free to teachers with ID.  Sponsored by Eastern Washington University and Educational Service District 101 through its Teaching American History grant program.

Tina Wynecoop

"Occasionally in life there are those moments of
unutterable fulfillment which cannot be completely
explained by those symbols called words.  Their
meanings can only be articulated by the inaudible
language of the heart."                     ~MLK