Nina Cook diary, 1886

Dave Robertson ddr11 at UVIC.CA
Wed Feb 27 01:33:02 UTC 2008

http://www.stumpranchonline.com/skagitjournal/S-W/Pioneer/Cook/Cook02-
NinaDiary.html

"Diary by Nina Cook, Beginning May 29, 1886
Sedro [Wooley]*, Washington Territory"

"Nina [originally named Hannah] Cook was the youngest daughter, born in
Topeka on Sept. 2, 1869, so she is 16 when the diary begins."

Excerpt:

"This must be cupit for now. you see I talk in Chinook instead of Spanish
now."

Can we guess from this unusual spelling that she was trying to reflect a
common pronunciation of the word that later books often spelled "kopet"?

*Formerly Bug, Washington Territory.

--Dave R