Source of tanlki "yesterday"

jlarmagost jlarmagost at VERIZON.NET
Fri May 16 01:02:14 UTC 2008

jlarmagost at verizon.net

  -----Original Message-----
  From: The Chinook List [mailto:CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG]On Behalf
Of Francisc Czobor
  Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2008 9:06 AM
  To: CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
  Subject: Re: Source of tanlki "yesterday"

  Hi Rein,

  on page 8 of "Chinook and Shorthand Rudiments", the 3 "blurred" letters
after tanke are the word "son", which comes from English "sun" and means
"sun" or "day"; in this context it means obviously "day", thus tanke-son =
yester-day.

  Francisc

  Rein Stamm <stamm at TELUS.NET> wrote:
    James,

    I cannot answer your question directly but I can tell you this:
    Something similar appears in "Chinook and Shorthand Rudiments, with
which the
    Chinook Jargon and wawa shorthand......." [I'll spare you the rest]

    It is "By the Editor of the "Kamloops Wawa"" and published in Kamloops,
B.C.,
    1898.

    I have a photocopy, on page 8 "tanke-[illegible]" appears with the
meaning as
    yesterday. I cannot make out the 3 (?) blurred letters that follow. The
    shorthand symbol is also given. The words listed are seperated into a
French
    and English section "tanke-[illegible]" appears in what I presume to be
    the "Indian" section.

    Regrds,
    Rein

    Quoting James Crippen :