Etymology of a few words

Dave Robertson ddr11 at UVIC.CA
Sat Sep 27 00:48:59 UTC 2008

I couldn't resist googling, and found this useful reference:

www.d.umn.edu/~ahartley/CAMAS_etymology.pdf

I remember someone -- Wayne Suttles? -- pointing out the similarities among
many NW languages' words for certain root vegetables, including Nez Perce
qaws, Salishan qawc (or similar), Haida's word for 'potato' and so on.

(And if you want to go farther, Salish words for 'potato' and 'deer' might
be suspected of being cognates.  Did I get that from a Thom Hess remark?)

--Dave R