Iwash

Leland Bryant Ross leland at FREMONTBAPTISTCHURCH.ORG
Tue Feb 24 22:19:09 UTC 2009

On the other hand in a lot of Salish languages s- is a common nominal prefix, so "Siwash" might have been more than ordinarily offensive to such speakers if they heard it as "s-Iwash". You'd have to know a fair amount of French to realize "sawash" was "sauvage", whereas the folk etymology from Iwash (if this turns out to be true) might spring readily to mind.

lilEnd