"Iwash"?

Don duMas don_dumas at YAHOO.COM
Tue Feb 24 05:48:13 UTC 2009

Dave

Good luck.  Something tells me you'll  be wasting your time trying to find "cock rock" in any old dictionaries, CJ or otherwise...... but I could be wrong....I frequently am....
  I've shot commercials there many times and it'd take a wild flight of fancy (horniness?) to picture it as a penis, even with the domed doo-dad on top, but then, I'm not Chinook, so how the hell would I know?

Maybe  Hyas Tyee Dax-winst knows what the word for "dick" is, he apparently knows how to say "outhouse" in Nez Perce, in any event.

Maika kloshe Sikhs

Pasiuks

Don duMas
The Blind Art Director

206-300-5368 mob
360-629-4283 ph/fx
don_dumas at yahoo.com

From: Dave Robertson <ddr11 at UVIC.CA>
Subject: "Iwash"?
To: CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Date: Monday, February 23, 2009, 4:07 PM

Found this in the Wikipedia article about Chinook Jargon.  "Iwash" reputedly
meaning "penis."  Never heard the word, ignorant as I am.

Sixty-Four Years as a Writer
By Bill Gulick
Edition: illustrated
Published by Caxton Press, 2006
ISBN 0870044532, 9780870044533
344 pages

This book [pages 102-103] is the citation given for "iwash".  The reference
is a rock formation in the Rooster Rock State Park area.  Supposedly "iwash"
meant "penis" or vulgarly "cock", which was sanitized to "rooster".

If the place were called Siwash Rock, which several places indeed were (e.g.
in Vancouver BC's Stanley Park), it'd be easy for a misspelling or more
likely typographical error "Iwash Rock" to emerge.

I'll have to go scour old CJ dictionaries for "Iwash" to disprove this idea.

---Dave R

To respond to the CHINOOK list, click 'REPLY ALL'.  To respond privately to the sender of a message, click 'REPLY'.  Hayu masi!