[Cogsci-interpreting] Call for Papers in special issue of Target

Laura Babcock lbabcock at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 13:09:30 UTC 2022

Please see below for the Call for Papers for a special issue of Target

Abstracts can be sent directly to elisabet.tiselius at su.se

Guest Editors: Laura Babcock, Raphael Sannholm and Elisabet Tiselius

Contact: Elisabet Tiselius, elisabet.tiselius at su.se, Institute for
Interpreting and Translation Studies, Stockholm University, SE-10694
Stockholm, +46707303777

*Mapping synergies within cognitive research on Multilectal Mediated
Communication*

In recent years different boundaries in Translation Studies have been
explored in different volumes (Dam et al. 2019, Gambier & van Doorslaer
2016), both in terms of identifying borders and expanding the field, but
also in terms of exploring neighboring fields and adopting
interdisciplinary approaches.

In this volume, we would like to turn our gaze inwards to the field of
translation studies and more precisely into Cognitive Translation and
Interpreting Studies (CTIS) (Muñoz Martín et al. 2021). We intend to
explore and examine elements and their interaction within our own
territory. We believe that there are synergies within the many different
areas in the field of CTIS which have remained unexplored and which merit
attention. We invite papers that seek to explore and map different
synergies within cognitive research on what Halverson and Muñoz Martín
(2020) have labelled multilectal mediated communication (MMC).

MMC encompasses translation, interpreting, and all types of different
linguistic communicative activities involving more than one language.
Cognitive research in translation and interpreting are often streamlined,
for methodological and theoretical reasons, into studying pure forms of an
area (e.g. simultaneous interpreting or translation in isolation). However,
the areas and the tasks are more than often overlapping and intertwined and
thus presumably need innovative thinking in terms of research
collaboration, use of methods, and theoretical approaches. Examples of
these areas are translation as teamwork, interpreting onsite in a dialogue,
distance interpreting and translation, sight translation and speech-to-text
interpreting.

In order to identify and map similar synergies, we would like to invite
contributors to explore different types of research collaborations,
overlapping areas hidden in plain sight, and possible theoretical or
methodological synergies for investigating cognition in MMC.

We welcome papers within the realm of cognitive research. Topics can
include, but are not limited to, text processing, models and constructs,
remote interpreting, methodological advances.