Corpora: Parallel corpora and French software

NOELLE-VERONIQUE SERPOLLET n.serpollet at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue Jun 6 14:07:16 UTC 2000

Apologies if you receive multiple copies of this document
Dear list members,

I am a French PhD student researching in Corpus Linguistics at
Lancaster University. My PhD deals with modality and the subjunctive
and my aim is to carry out a contrastive analysis on the French and
English languages.

I have been working on the Lancaster-Oslo-Bergen corpus (LOB)
and on the Freiburg-LOB corpus (FLOB) for the English part
of my data.
Now I have started working on French corpora.
I already have got some corpora (and I am aware of others) that I can
use but I was wondering if you could send me a list of data which I
could
have access to and on which I would be able to carry some analyses.
Ideally, I would like to gather a French/English parallel corpus
(with the texts being aligned if possible).

I will appreciate any contribution and help.

Furthermore, are you aware of corpus tools (taggers/lemmatizers)
that I could use for my analyses of the French?
(I know about Cordial 6 Universites and will probably purchase it,
and I am currently working with ParaConc (Barlow, 1995)).

I would be grateful if you could tell me where I could obtain
a tagger/concordancer which would enable me to retrieve occurrences
of the French subjunctive.

Thank you in advance for your help, your answers and suggestions.
Noelle

Noelle SERPOLLET
Department of Linguistics and MEL
Lancaster University,