Corpora: British newspaper in electonic form

David Lee david_lee00 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 7 22:01:10 UTC 2000

Stephanie,

> We are trying to locate Britisch newspapers (or articles from British
> newspapers) in electronic form from the late 1980s. Does anybody know
of
> any electronic holdings (perhaps a corpus that includes newspapers)?
Any
> help more than gratefully received.

If 1989 counts as 'late 1980s', you may want to look at the BNC. It has
about 247 files of newspaper texts ('Guardian' and 'Independent',
various sub-genres) from Oct-Dec 1989, totalling 1,859,198 words.
Nothing earlier than 1989 that I could find easily.

If you're interested in the actual file IDs for these texts, please
contact me directly.

Dave.

Dept of Linguistics        *   Stop the narrowing of minds   *
Lancaster University     *   Affirm the diversity of life         *
England, UK.

Email: david_lee00 at hotmail.com
Homepage: http://members.xoom.com/davidlee00/dave.htm