Corpora: Automatic word categorisation

Alexander Clark asc at aclark.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 13 11:39:22 UTC 2000

At 11:18 13/11/00 +0100, Klas wrote:
>Dear list members,
>
>I am working on a dissertation in corpus lingusitics and my primary field
>of research is automatic word categorisation and classification. I have
>conducted a search for other works in this field. I am aware of the works
>by John Hughes and Steven Finch as well as those of H. Schutze. Do You know
>about others interested in the same area? Any references would be
appreciated.

>Yours sincerely
>Klas Prytz

Dear Klas,

Brown et al. (92) and Ney et al. (94) present similar approaches using a
maximum likelihood approach.
You are familiar with Chater and Finch's work.  There is also Pereira et
al.'s work on clustering of word senses.
I gave a paper on this topic at CoNLL '00 this year, available on-line.

Regards,

Alexander Clark

Bibtex entries:

@INPROCEEDINGS{chater-finch1,
  AUTHOR =	 {Finch, S. and Chater, N.},
  TITLE =	 {Bootstrapping syntactic categories},
  YEAR =	 {1992},
  BOOKTITLE =	 {Proceedings of the 14th Annual Meeting of the
                  Cognitive Science Society},
  PAGES =	 {820-825},
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{chater-finch2,
  AUTHOR =	 {Finch, S. and Chater, N.},
  TITLE =	 {Bootstrapping syntactic categories using statistical
                  methods},
  YEAR =	 {1992},
  BOOKTITLE =	 {Background and Experiments in Machine Learning of
                  Natural Language},
  PAGES =	 {229-235},
  EDITOR =	 {Daelemans, W. and Powers, D.},
  PUBLISHER =	 {Tilburg University: Institute for Language
                  Technology and AI}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{chater-finch3,
  AUTHOR =	 {Finch, S. and Chater, N. and Redington, M.},
  TITLE =	 {Acquiring syntactic information from distributional
                  statistics},
  YEAR =	 {1995},
  EDITOR =	 {Levy, Joseph P. and Bairaktaris, Dimitrios and
                  Bullinaria, John A. and Cairns, Paul},
  BOOKTITLE =	 {Connectionist Models of Memory and Language},
  PUBLISHER =	 {UCL Press}
}

@ARTICLE{brown-92,
  AUTHOR =	 {Brown, Peter F. and Della Pietra, Vincent J. and de
                  Souza, Peter V. and Lai, Jenifer C. and Mercer,
                  Robert},
  TITLE =	 {Class-based n-gram models of natural language},
  YEAR =	 {1992},
  VOLUME =	 {18},
  PAGES =	 {467-479},
  JOURNAL =	 {Computational Linguistics}
}

@Article{ney-essen-kneser,
  author =	 {Ney, Hermann and Essen, Ute and Kneser, Reinhard},
  title =	 {On Structuring Probabilistic dependencies in
                  stochastic language modelling},
  journal =	 {Computer Speech and Language},
  year =	 {1994},
  volume =	 {8},
  pages =	 {1-28}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{pereira-cluster,
  AUTHOR =	 {Pereira, Fernando and Tishby, Natali and Lee,
                  Lillian},
  TITLE =	 "Distributional Clustering of {English} words",
  YEAR =	 {1993},
  BOOKTITLE =	 "Proceedings of the 31st annual meeting of the
                  {Association for Computational Linguistics}"
}

@InProceedings{clark-00,
  author =	 {Clark, Alexander},
  title =	 {Inducing Syntactic Categories by Context
                  Distribution Clustering},
  pages =	 {91-94},
  year =	 {2000},
  booktitle =	 {Proceedings of CoNLL-2000 and LLL-2000},
  address =	 {Lisbon, Portugal}
}

Alexander Clark
alexc at cogs.susx.ac.uk